Friday, May 23, 2008

Troglodyte # 3 at Bungonia

April 2008

With a camping trip planned at Bungonia in the school holidays I decided to see if there were any local caches in the area.
Of course, there were.
Heading off in the Festiva earlier than the others in the van, Jye, his friend James and I set off for the Bungonia State Forest in search of a cache called Troglodyte # 3.
Arriving at our destination we paid the $7- entry fee, grabbed a map and signed the register to say we were in the park. With the co-ordinates punched in to the GPS we were off.


Now when Russell gave me his GPS to lend, I vaguely remember something he said about 'as the crow flies'. Pity I didn't remember what he said exactly!!
With the GPS directing us up a track, we walked 'as the crow flies' only to come to a clearing at the bottom of a mountain. This was no hill...this was a MOUNTAIN.
Over we went and down the other side only to come to another clearing at the bottom of another mountain.
By this time the boys weren't very impressed, especially James who must have been wondering why he'd wanted to go bush with us in the first place.
After reassuring the pair that if we just went over this mountain and down the other side, we would be assured the reward of a find.
So over we went and guess what we found? Another clearing and another bloody mountain!


By this time I was starting to think that maybe we should've stuck to a track...that anyone in their right mind wouldn't walk all this way just to place a cache right?
I mean seriously, what were they...mountain goats?


After looking behind me and realising that...yep...we had to go back the way we came..the cache wasn't looking quite so appetising.
We had to admit defeat...once again.
The journey was far from over though. Somehow the mountains on the way back were much steeper than they were on the way there and it was taking me at least 5 minutes to get from tree to tree on the way back. Even the boys were struggling but they still found it funny to watch me struggle even more especially when I lost my footing and was clinging to the side of this mountain like Gollum with my fingernails literally dug into the dirt!!
Finally we arrived back at the car and found quite a few other people just about to head off on their bushwalks, smiling and nodding at us.
If only they knew half an hour before I was seriously considering sending up a flare for helicopter help!!
Oh well...better luck next time.
Just NOT at this cache!!